Reynolds Square is part of the Historic District and was designed back in 1733 to include four open squares, surrounded by four residential and four civil blocks. This layout of a square and its accompanying blocks is known as a “ward.”Lucas Theater is one of the square's most important buildings, built in 1921 for Savannah native Colonel Arthur Lucas. The space originally held vaudeville performances and screened silent movies and has today re-emerged as one of Savannah’s most romantic buildings.The square was also once home to a filature, which housed silkworms, which are believed to have thrived in the area, producing silk and supplanting imports to England from China by way of Italy. This idea didn't pan out, however, as Georgia's humid climate kept the cocoons from maturing properly.The filature was then converted into a meeting space, serving as the city hall until around 1845.Two historic homes in the area have survived the times: the 1798 Habersham House, today known as the Pink House and serving as a restaurant, and the Oliver Sturgis House, dating back to 1813.In Reynolds Square, look for a bronze statue of John Wesley, who founded the first Sunday school in America while in the region on a mission. The location of the statue is believed to have been where Wesley’s home once stood.